Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Inventio -- a canon at the fifth

I've written a two-part invention in the form of a canon at the fifth.

Since harmonic progressions in fifths are ubiquitous in the common practice era (17th-19th centuries), a very characteristic harmonic language was easy to achieve.

I begin with I - IV - viiº - I, which helps to establish the key. Then I have a middle section that moves though the circle of fifths IV - viiº - iii - vi - ii - V, extending the V for one more measure with the rests in the right hand to set up a recap of the opening section.

I tweak the canon in measure 16 to bring about a cadence.

I should really try one of these at another interval of imitation sometime -- the choice of a fifth definitely made things easier today.

(click on image to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment