Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In honor of Square Root Day

Square Root Day -- March 3, '09

A hint for the less mathematically inclined (read:" less geeky"):

3 x 3 = 9

In honor of this day, some choose (I kid you not) to eat root vegetables cut into squares. I choose to write a canon based on threes and nines.

In keeping with the current rhythmic canon set and the activities of the last few days, I again decided to work in a duration row. That row is 3, 5, 4, 2, 1.

I composed a canon in four parts in 9/8 time (of course). I used O in the upper part and then descending: I, R, and RI.

I chose the durations one through five because they total fifteen -- five beats of 3 divisions. Since 9/8 time has three beats of three divisions the pattern will cycle back to its original starting point after three repetitions.

The parts are aligned in such a way as to produce little bursts of 3 eighth motes on some of the beats.

(click on image to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment