Monday, March 2, 2009

More work with duration rows

Also based on a duration row, this one is a rhythmic canon in six parts.

The row is 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6, 7 -- this time I made the row myself rather than borrowing one.

I set it in 7/8 time using the eighth note as the unit duration so that the row would take exactly 4 measures. To create the piece I followed the original with the inversion (see Saturday's entry) and then RI and R.

The whole canon theme is:

3 4 2 5 1 6 7, 5 4 6 3 7 2 1, 1 2 7 3 6 4 5, 7 6 1 5 2 4 3

Constructed this way it makes a palindrome again -- I do have a predilection for such things. I also purposely put "2 1 1 2" together in the middle to have a sort of iterative climax.

There is much independence between the parts again here and the resultant rhythm becomes more dense to the climax and then thins somewhat.

(click on image to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment