Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sunday, May 3 2009

Well, now that the semester is done, finals given and graded and semester grades submitted, I'll finally have time to catch up.

I have continued to write my daily canons but didn't have the time to enter them into Finale and post them. I will post several a day until I'm caught up.

Canon in the Symmetrical Enharmonic Pentatonic

The ancient Greek Enharmonic Pentatonic is a scale with two identical tetrachords (as were most Greek scales).

In modern terminology, a tetrachord is a group of pitches spanning the interval of a perfect fourth. The Enharmonic begins with a major third. The remaining minor second completes the tetrachord.

Example (The Greeks constructed their scales in a descending manner):

A F E (A-F is a major 3rd, F-E is a minor second)

As I said, the ancient Greek version used identical tetrachords to make a scale. These are connected by a major second so that the two tetrachords are a perfect fifth apart and will complete the octave.

A F E D Bb A

I wanted to have a scale that was symmetrical around that connective major second, so I created two versions of a symmetrical enharmonic pentatonic. Today's canon uses one of them, I'll get to the other later this week.

A F E is the first tetrachord -- M3, m2

D C# A is the second -- m2, M3

The complete scale is A F E D C# A.

As befits a symmetrical scale, here is a canon in inversion.

(click on image to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment