Friday, January 2, 2009

Beginnings...

January 1, 2009 )

Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit.
"Happy New Year to you." (in Irish, which I am learning.)

About a year and a half ago, I wrote a short canon on a New Year's text written by my wife and creative partner, Maggi. To represent the mythical Janus, facing both forward and back, I wrote a canon that was also a palindrome. Since today is New Year's Day, I humbly submit it here.

                                                            (Click to enlarge)


But, since this blog is about writing a new canon every day, I've done that as well.

I'm starting with a very simple canon of the type that is first taught to counterpoint students. I first wrote a skeletal version.. It's pretty much a Fuxian 1st species counterpoint, except for the minor 7th in measure four which I resolve down by step, in the traditional manner.

Then, to make it a bit more musical, I embellished the melody by adding rhythmic figures and non-harmonic tones. The idea was to make the simultaneous rhythms different in each part, render the melody more interesting and differentiate the phrasing.

                                                             (click to enlarge)
It's simple and straightforward -- a nice measured beginning to this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment