Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Serendipity and/or attention to the possibilities

For this 13th movement of my 366 part Ode to Autodidacticism I had an interesting experience.

A bit pressured by mundane tasks, I found myself multitasking. I was glancing through a book on counterpoint (Fundamental Counterpoint by Hugo Norden) while having lunch. I was looking for some different ideas to present to my students this coming semester when we go into 4th species -- but, in the back of my mind, I knew I hadn't written my canon yet.

As my eyes fell onto a B minor cantus firmus that Norden gives for an end-chapter assignment, I saw quite clearly that the first 8 notes worked as a canon at the octave. I think that this daily canon writing is already having an advantageous effect.

Upon closer examination, I found that it worked in three parts as well.

Here it is, unadorned. Perhaps I'll elaborate upon it for another day but, for now, it helped me to accomplish today's entry with negligible effort.

What a nice thing to have happen on a busy day.

(Click on image to enlarge)


No comments:

Post a Comment